Thursday, April 19, 2007

Deadhead Roses


Last night I spent some time deadheading my roses. When you prune the bushes to specifically cut off old or damaged blooms, it is called deadheading. No lie! My roses have been sufficiently deadheaded!


Because we had the freeze and frost last week, the baby buds that had sprung up on my rose (the Barbie Bush only) were "burned," which means they had frost damage and were not going to bloom. I have one sweet little bloom that may last, so I left it alone.


According to Better Homes and Gardens, roses are best deadheaded in spring after the last possibility of frost. Okay, this is Atlanta, and it COULD frost again, but I doubt it!


Since it was dark when I was working, I'll have to take a look today to see what kind of damage I did! I'm still learning! :)

No comments: